Remember last year, when I did a brief look back at the year just gone? You do? Super, because we’re doing that again (spoiler: I didn’t get a dog – boo).
My word for the year? Easy. It’s ‘lipstick’.
Listen. You could walk away from this post right now because that’s the major take-home from this whole thing, kids: dinky tubes of pigment, wax, oil and emollient. I discovered lipstick in a big way in 2012: I wore it everywhere, from the office to lunch and /or dinner to getting the paper on a Saturday afternoon. It is a mood elevator, an outfit-put-together-er and also, basically witchcraft. I am only angry I discovered it this late in life.
But there were other Things of Greatness in 2012, and they are listed, right after the jump.
- Disclosure’s somewhat miraculous track Latch:
- Jessie Ware’s record, but especially Sweet Talk
- Frank Ocean’s D’Angelo-esque yelp at 3:19 on Sweet Life
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, which had me doing Hollywood gasps in the silence of my flat
- The very funny Spicy Eve
- Sally Hansen nail varnish in Wholesome Earth and Barry M Gelly nail paint in Blood Orange
- Learning how to put my hair in Marley braid extensions (note the cranberry lipstick, please)
- Scandal, Magic Mike (and that Pony routine, y’all), The Good Wife, Ben Whishaw’s face in The Hour
- Starting regular columns for Comment Is Free and the New Statesman
- Teaching a classroom of teenagers actual journalism (I made it, Ma!)
- Solange’s. Entire. Existence.
- Simple toner and The Body Shop’s Vitamin E serum
- Black Girls Talking and their pretty splendid podcast
- Green tea (Twinings’ apple and pear flavoured version is The Jam)
- Favourite blog posts of the year: Girls In White Dresses (September), Black Girl Feels (also September), In Praise of Girlfriends (April)
- Favourite Graun pieces of 2012: CAPS LOCK DAY, Hunger Games: race and fandom, African women making Tartan in Scotland, and – sigh – Girls, mainstream feminism and intersectionality
Okay. Time for a quick Cute Interlude:
To Do List 2013
- Do excellent, interesting work
- Ovary up sufficiently to tell at least one of the two guys I have crushes on that I would like to kiss them squarely in the face
- Get a new laptop – the treadmilling hamster that keeps this one going is asthmatic and weary. I’ve my eye on a MacBook, and am open to alternative ‘payment plans’. o_O
- Go to many more parties
- Learn how to do a perfect cat’s eye flick with my felt tip liner
- Decide once and for all what my ‘signature scent’ is (DKNY Be Delicious? [Ugh, that name] or Michael Kors Women! It’s the tuberose, see.)
- Wear more dresses
- Go to New York and/or LA
- Higher cake consumption
- Punching every last person who says ‘female’ – when they should be saying ‘woman’ or ‘girl’ – in the crotch
- Blog more 😉
- Bring back blue eyeshadow, like, in a big way:
I have one more post on the blog this year (an end-of-year post-Crimbo Festival of Joyous Perving, since you ask) and then that’s it till 2013. Have a happy, safe and warm Christmas, chums. I am grateful you decided to stop by this year and I hope you’ll continue to.